Monday, December 05, 2011

All the Tinsel and Lights Make the Holidays Bright... but the Real Gift is You!

Friday night I had the wonderful opportunity to host and attend the "Snowball!" A Christmas dance party for all of the Cru students around the Charlotte area, complete with yummy Christmas cookies and a photo booth (How cute is that picture of Luke and I??)! We had a blast with the 65+ students welcoming in the season of Christmas and the celebration of the birth of Jesus with dancing and quality fellowship!

Not only do I love Christmas parties, I also enjoy the smell of evergreens, the beauty of Christmas lights, and the taste of gingerbread lattes! A Christmas in Charlotte, North Carolina is full of all of these! Unfortunately, it can also full of distraction and busyness.

Yesterday, Pastor Stephen from my church, Elevation, challenged us to make a declaration and commitment for this advent season:

"I won't get lost in lesser things... I will make the most of Jesus."

Martha was so distracted by "lesser things"... the preparations and the hard work... that she missed out on the whole reason for the party in the first place (Luke 10:10)! She had invited the guests, but was too busy preparing the meal to enjoy time with them.

I don't want to miss out on spending time at the feet of the One who is the reason for this season! Whether that looks like worshiping God by a lighted evergreen tree, drinking a gingerbread latte while reading the Christmas story, or spending time dancing with college students... I choose to not only invite Jesus into my home and heart, but also enjoy his presence this Christmas!

No comments: