Tuesday, December 06, 2011

"Do We Think That is Tacky?"

My neighbors put up enough Christmas lights to light up the entire Galloway Forest. Complete with the countdown to Christmas (20 days, 1 hour, 35 minutes and 15 seconds... I kid you not, it is that specific)! As Luke picked me up last night, he said to me, "Do we think that is tacky?" I laughed because some people are nuts with their enthusiasm about holidays. I am all for lights, don't get me wrong. But when you have so many lights that Rudolf's nose is sniffing baby Jesus... you need more to do with your life.

I wonder sometimes if spend so much of our time wrapped up in Christmas lights and decorating that we forget to spend time being the light! Jesus said, "Let your light shine before all men that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven (Matthew 5:16)."

Hmm... good deeds. It's odd to me that in Christian circles "good deeds" have developed a bad reputation. It's true that for some, they've become a stumbling block to understanding the true gospel: that it is NOT by works (good deeds) that you have been saved, but the gift of God (Eph. 2:8-9)!

But after that... after we are saved by grace through faith... there is a calling! A calling to holiness and a calling to be like Christ! And every calling demands a response. The calling? "Let your light shine before men so that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven!" What is your response?


Warning: Too much light may make some think you are tacky and may cause rejection from judgmental neighbors (John 15:18-20). But Jesus is worth the cost.

No comments: