Wednesday, November 30, 2011

We Should Get Jerseys...
Cause We Make a Good Team!





On Sunday evening my wonderful boyfriend, Luke, showed up at my door to take me on a date! And he had a plan! Putting the effort in to make a plan beforehand always makes me feel extra cared for. And, as usual, Luke went above and beyond! He didn't just have any plan... he had a well thought out plan to help me accomplish #4 on my bucket list! Complete with telling me to wear the right shoes to walk to the light rail without hurting my feet! A great reflection of Christ's love toward me, Luke knows me and pursues my heart with intentionality! And he does so really well!

However, as great of a pursuer as he is, Luke is not Christ. I like fairy tales, but Luke is not the one designed to "complete me." I can't look to Luke to make sense of my world! To expect him to do so is to put pressure on him that he was not designed to carry.

I hate to admit this, but sometimes I find myself putting him on this pedestal. And those are the times that he epically fails at living up to my unspoken and unrealistic expectations! Not to mention the times that I wind up working so hard to gain his attention and approval that I end up exhausted, insecure, and empty!

To make Luke my god is to forfeit the grace and rest (Jonah 2:8) that comes from being perfectly pursued by my first love (Revelation 2:4). Unconditional (Psalm 36:7, Psalm 48:9) and eternal (Psalm 52:8), God's love is SO much more satisfying.

In Christ alone, my hope is found.
He is my light, my strength, my song.
This cornerstone, this solid ground,
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.




No comments: