Thursday, November 17, 2011


Don't You Dare Close Your Eyes!

"Do you trust me? Do you trust me?" Aladdin's eyes invite Jasmine to place her confidence in him. As she hesitantly chooses to place her hand in his, my heart silently applauds.

Women, isn't it interesting that our hearts applaud trust in fairytales but has the opposite reaction in real life? In real life, my heart fights and screams and says, "No! Don't trust! This is dangerous and risky! This could hurt! You could FALL OFF that carpet!"

When I think to the heart applause during that moment of the romantic Disney movie, I realize that we are CREATED to trust (Proverbs 3:5). Originally, God designed for us to be able to trust Him and to trust each other (Genesis 2:25). But sin makes that difficult. Past hurt makes that difficult. And each time our trust is wrongly placed or taken advantage of, we become more jaded. Walls go up where they were never intended to be.

What would it look like for me to place my hand in His and risk getting on the carpet? A small and hesitant voice from Jasmine, "yes," reminds me that it is all worth the risk! Don't you dare close your eyes- open them wide and step with wisdom and confidence onto the carpet God is laying out ahead of you!


No comments: