Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Girl's Night Out


"Earlier today, at least half of you enjoyed a tall vanilla skinny latte from Starbucks. Much like the cup that you threw away, you may have picked up a label somewhere along this journey through life that said you are 'usable,' that you can be consumed and used, only to be left broken with shame as your only companion."


Marion Jordan's words hit straight to the heart. As 120 women from UNCC rolled into Rowe 130 from 6 different sororities, we were ALL squirming. As much as we would hate to admit it, we've been that coffee cup. We have experienced the loneliness that comes from rejection, and the shame that comes from being “thrown away.”


Often I do one of two things with those wounds. I either isolate, vowing to never let anyone else close enough to cause that sort of pain again, or I let myself grow apathetic and numb. In numbness, I let myself be used as the coffee cup. I claim, “Whatever. Use me. I don’t care. Why should I care?” Thoughts which couldn't be farther from the truth.


Whether in isolation or apathy, my heart desperately longs to hear, “You matter way more than you think you do (Genesis 2:7). You are worth far more than you think you are (John 3:16). I accept you just the way you are, and I love you enough to carry you somewhere better (Hebrews 10:22).”

No comments: