Monday, November 28, 2011

I was in Argentina for a mission trip and I had simply been walking to campus to share the gospel with college students, when I noticed an odd stoplight on the side of a garage door. It wasn't directing traffic so I asked, "What is that stoplight for?" The answer literally brought me to my knees and I kneeled there in the middle of the crowded street, weeping and praying while passerby's just gawked at me, a crazy American. It was a brothel; the light was directing traffic of a much different kind.

It was on that crowded street in Argentina that my heart first broke for women trapped by the sex-trafficking industry. Only a sophomore in college at the time, I couldn't even begin to see the enormity of the situation. In fact, it was my first encounter with any information regarding sex slavery. And so, I prayed for God to eliminate sex-trafficking. To abolish human slavery today.

Later, I learned that there are 1.39 million victims of commercial sex trafficking worldwide and that human trafficking for sexual exploitation generates approximately 27.8 billion USD per year (http://www.thea21campaign.org/the-problem.php).

Somewhere in the 4 years since that moment, I picked up the lie that eliminating sex-trafficking is impossible, and so I stopped praying. I stopped believing that THE GOD OF THE UNIVERSE can actually do something about this situation. I am thought to be a "super Christian", so it's hard to confess that to the millions of people that read my blog (okay, 8 people). But I have been recently reminded that if I really believed that God is really real and omnipotent, I would be bold to ask for the elimination of the sex trade industry. I may be overwhelmed at the details involved in that, but God is not.

Listen, the Lord's hand is not so short that it cannot save; Nor is His ear so dull that it cannot hear (Isaiah 59:1).


No comments: