Friday, September 21, 2012

A Faith Kind of Morning

What do all of these people have in common: Abel, Enoch, Moses' parents, Barak, Jephthah? I would like to affectionately name them the "weirdos of faith". The less heard about characters from Hebrews 11. I have to really think to remember their stories from the Old Testament... and when I do remember them, I'm reminded of the DC Talk song from way back in the day, "What would people think when they hear that I'm a Jesus Freak?" These people were weirdo's according to society.

I mean, come on, who actually puts their infant in a basket and sticks him in a river? Jechebed does. But who talks about Jechebed, besides my seminary professors? And back to the question: Who would put their 3 month old in a basket in the river?!! 

When did we get it in our minds that faith is easy or normal?  This morning I've been struggling with the fact that God called me to move into a safe house where literally no one knows where I am. I am completely "off the grid." Which means that I can't invite anyone over, don't have an address to give people for care packages, and live far away from everything fun that's going on in my community. And I was slapped with the insecurity that no one else in my world knows what that feels like. I've felt lonely and abnormal in this step of faith.

But God... 

-has called me here.
-knows where I am.
-saw Moses in the basket when no one else could.
-is always faithful. 



Challenge for you: Refresh yourself on the stories of Abel, Enoch, Barak, and Jephthah. :) 

No comments: