Thursday, March 06, 2014

My name is not Jill.

It's temporal.

The straw that broke the camels back this morning was the "Hi, Jill" that came from the customer on the other end of the phone.  My name is not Jill. It is TiLissa.
           Pronounced, "tuh-lease-uh."
I know, it is a difficult name to understand, which is why I shorten it to "TiL" on the phone.  I try to make it easy for people. But no. I've gotten everything from "Carol" to "pill." I even had an older lady tell me that it was the most ridiculous name she had ever heard. Most of the time, it just rolls off my back.

Today though, by the time I got to work... I was in a mood. I woke up late. I burnt my bagel. My best friend cancelled our weekend plans. Split my coffee. Broke my clock. Got stuck in traffic. I was late to work. I found out we were having a flash sale at work. And then my first customer called me Jill. Ugh. When it rains, it pours.

And yet, its temporary. These things are not eternal. The beauty in bad days, frustrating weeks, long months, and draining years is that we have a growing anticipation for a kingdom that is not yet. A kingdom not of this world.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18
Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day. For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

No comments: