Saturday, November 12, 2011

Garments of Praise-

I went shopping with Alexa and my mom yesterday and was struck by the materialism in my world. We were stopped by a foreign man wanting desperately to sell a straightener. Each time I would refuse to buy, he would lower the price a little more to keep me interested. I wondered to myself, "How low would this price continue to go just to keep me here?" When he got to his lowest offered price he begged me not to tell my friends.

Faith isn't cheap (Hebrews 11:17-19). God doesn't lower the price for me (Hebrews 12:3-4) and tell me not to tell my friends. In fact, He asks me to give EVERYTHING I have, and tell everyone I know (Mark 16:15-16)! I don't have to pretend that accepting Christ is easy or cheap. It isn't cheap for me (Romans 13:11-14), and it wasn't cheap for Christ (John 19:30).

Don't offer to God that which costs you nothing (2 Samuel 24:24).

“Cheap grace is the grace we bestow on ourselves. Cheap grace is the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline, Communion without confession.... Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ, living and incarnate.”
Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

3 comments:

-Luke said...

"It isn't cheap for me"
If I believe that then things have got to change!
It's not easy and the sooner I come to terms with that the quicker I can start greatly glorifying God.
Ugh, this is gonna be hard.

Mary Louise said...

Thank you TiLissa for sharing the Truth. I am always so blessed by hearing it. It changes who I am, and points me always to Jesus. I am so overwhelmed by His free gift, and humbled by how costly it was for Him. I praise His Holy Name!

PCactive said...

Great post Tilissa. Thanks for the reminder for the price paid for our faith.